Friday, May 11, 2007

Panilonco Merlot / Malbec Reserve 2005


We bought this wine from Trader Joe's in Seattle (Capitol Hill) for $3.99. It's from Colchagua Valley in Chile and both this Merlot/Malbec and the Shiraz they're selling are pretty darn good for the price.

Andrew [88 points]
I was pretty skeptical that this wine would be any good since it was only four dollars, but when I first smelled it, it smelled pretty good. It's got a slightly peppery earthy odor to it. A little harsh on the tongue when you first have it in your mouth. It's got some nice fruitiness to it and it finishes off very dry. Slightly sour aftertaste, but not unpleasant. Definitely makes me want to take another sip, maybe for the smell alone. A good wine for the price.

Alexis [87 points]
I usually love the fresh fruitness and boldness of Shiraz, but I liked this wine even though it's not usually what I drink (good to branch out once in awhile). There's fruit up front, but it's kind of a deep musky fruit taste... makes me think of late summer when the sun is red and dying. The mid taste is fairly strong tannin, and the finish is really nice. It lingers for awhile and is dry like tannins, but in a nice way. Buy some while it's still $3.99.

No comments: