Sunday, May 13, 2007

Columbia Winery 2001 Syrah


We got this wine at Costco for around twenty bucks. The wine is made from grapes at the Red Willow vineyard in Yakima Valley and is part of Columbia Winery's signature series.

Alexis [86 points]
AFTER NOTE: I find that I like the smell and taste of this wine much more upfront. As I drink it more, the wine is less fragrant and spicy and blackberry and more acidic and... hmm... sour? I ended up changing my rating from 89 points and agreeing with Andrew on this one. Good first impression... but it's downhill from there.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: Yum. This wine has layers of flavours. See now, a lot of wine articles and reviews list lots of flavours in a wine, and yet I often find I have trouble smelling or tasting more than one flavour in a wine. These wines that supposedly contain "cedar, chocolate, hints of mint with a bouquet of ..." just smell kind of flat to me... a one flavour/scent wine. This wine has many flavours, even though my immature nose would have to read the review to recognize them.

The smell for me is rich and spicy, almost physically warm. This wine is supposed to have "velvety tannins", but they're a little too aggressive for me. If it was a little smoother, it would be pretty amazing.

Andrew [86 points]
When we first opened this bottle, it just gushed with nice aromas. It really smelled delicious and I was excited to taste it. After pouring the wine, it sort of lost some of that amazing smell and after a couple swirls, I really wasn't getting that same feeling. When I taste it, a get a strong rush of berry flavor with a subtle smell of pepper, but the wine lacks a fullness of flavor. After that initial taste, the flavor dissapates leaving a slightly acidic feel on the tongue and a tingle in my nose and the back of my throat - maybe a little peppery. Overall, it's a decent wine, but not fantastic.

No comments: